Nb. He served in training as a Civil Engineer, under the firm of M'Clean & Stileman, and was for six months Assistant Engineer on the Furness Railway. Returning to British Guiana, he was appointed Assistant Colonial Civil Engineer. He was elected an Associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers 3 April 1860.
In January 1863, he was appointed Colonial Civil Engineer and Overseer of Public Works for the Colony of British Guiana. On 6 Nov. 1868, he became a full Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers. He had then constructed various coast defences, groynes, sea-walls etc., and built several goals, hospitals and police stations.
He was Captain commanding the British Guiana Artillery. His chief interest was music and he played the organ.
He retired from the Government Service in British Guiana in 1880, as a
result of a sunstroke. He settled at St.Leonard's, Sussex.