Nb. He served in training as a Civil Engineer, under the firm of M'Clean & Stileman, and was for six months Assistant Engineer on the Furness Railway. Returning to British Guiana, he was appointed Assistant Colonial Civil Engineer. He was elected an Associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers 3 April 1860.
In January 1863, he was appointed Colonial Civil Engineer and Overseer of Public Works for the Colony of British Guiana. On 6 Nov. 1868, he became a full Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers. He had then constructed various coast defences, groynes, sea-walls etc., and built several goals, hospitals and police stations.
He was Captain commanding the British Guiana Artillery. His chief interest was music and he played the organ.
He retired from the Government Service in British Guiana in 1880, as a
result of a sunstroke. He settled at St.Leonard's, Sussex.
Source. IGI Batch No.: C161131 Source Call No.: 1068942 IT 1 Type: Film.
Nb. After the death of her mother 1872, she was brought to England and lived with her mother's sister, Hannah Imrie (M. to William Imrie (half owner White Star Shipping line)) and later adopted by Hannah & William.
On coming of age she became a Catholic and Joined the Franciscan Order of Poor Clares.
As Sister Mary Clare, she was Foundress of Sclerder Abbey, near Polperro, Cornwell, and
became its first Mother Abbess. Sister Mary Clare also built the church of St. Mary
of the Angels in Liverpool using her inheritance of the Imrie estate.